Friday, October 3, 2008

Pumpkin Sausage Lasagna

Shop Name: Betsy's Kitchen

Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Boo's Rating: 5 Screams

Since this blog is called "I Scream You Scream" I figured it didn't HAVE to be all about ice cream. Although I will try to keep it in that area as much as possible, I thought it just wasn't fair that there were so many other delicious eats that I wasn't covering simply because they didn't fall into the ice cream category. Since fall is here, I'm constantly reminded of one of my favorite flavors of all time- Pumpkin. Let me tell you this: I scream for Pumpkin and you'd better, too! I love pumpkin bread, pumpkin donuts, pumpkin whoopie pies, pumpkin chili, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin ice cream (of course), and now I love pumpkin lasagna.

I recently drove across the state to visit my friend Betsy in Pittsburgh. Betsy shares my love of all things pumpkin and for the occasion, she conjured up the most delicious lasagna I have had in a good, long time. It does not have a tomato sauce, the sauce is what contains the pumpkin and it's actually made with milk. Click on the title of this blog and you'll be directed to the recipe, courtesy of the Rachel Ray show. I'm usually not a big fan of Rachel Ray. Her voice drives me bonkers. It didn't bother me quite so much when she was just a host of "30-Minute Meals" on the Food Network, but now she has that terrible talk show where she's just AWFUL! Stick to cooking, Rach!

Ok, so despite my issues with the queen of tight-shirts, she's got a winner with this pumpkin sausage lasagna. It has that perfect fall flavor that you want at this time of year and the pumpkin pairs beautifully with the sausage. Betsy actually opted for turkey sausage and I have to wonder how a pork sausage would have done. The turkey sausage was so mild and of course not nearly as fatty as a pork sausage would have been, but overall I feel her choice of sausage was flawless.

What I'm trying to get at is that this could quite possibly be life-changing lasagna. I don't know if I'll ever want a traditional lasagna again- this one was THAT delicious! Congrats, Betsy on your amazing culinary accomplishment. The recipe earned 4 Boo Screams! Why not 5? Well, I think the fault actually lies with Rachel Ray. I think the recipe could use some more veggies. So really, the recipe is what got 4 screams. Betsy, you earned 5 screams for your stellar execution.

No comments: