Monday, July 20, 2009

Leola Freeze & Frizz

Shop Name: Freeze & Frizz

Location: Old Philadelphia Pike, Leola

Boo's Rating: 4 screams

I went to the Freeze & Frizz last summer and thought it was pretty great. Today I went there again with my fabulous friend Christine. She got a twist with rainbow sprinkles. I got a "thick" chocolate shake. She seemed to really enjoy her ice cream cone and I was very happy with my shake. It was thick and creamy and plenty chocolate-y. And the coolest part? The straws are extra-wide and colorful. Fun! There is something about a roadside ice cream/fast food stand that sucks me in. There's definitely a certain nostalgia to them. When I was in high school, I spent a summer working at a roadside "Clam Shack." I forget the actual name of the establishment, maybe it was the Clam Box? I dunno. Anyway, the point is, I spent an entire summer sweating my butt off, serving ice cream, burgers, fried fish and slushies through a tiny little window. It was a dive right across the street from a local amusement park and at the end of the summer, I threw out all my work clothes because no amount of washing could get the stink of fried fish out of the fabric. Even now, 15 years later, I can't eat a fried clam without remembering that summer job. When I first started there, I was the ice cream girl. We had a few soft serve flavors and plenty of toppings including dip. You know- the melted chocolate that hardens when you dip the ice cream into it? Freeze & Frizz has it, too, which is another reason why I like it! Anyway, at the Clam Shack, there were three different "dip" flavors- chocolate, strawberry and caramel. For some reason, the only one that really worked was the chocolate. Something about the consistency of the other two never really worked. I can't remember how many times I'd dip a cone filled with ice cream into that strawberry dip and pull out an empty cone. No joke! Then I'd have to rush to scoop out the ice cream before it melted into the dip. It was always a mess! Hysterical!

Anyway, even without all the nostalgia, I love the Freeze & Frizz because they know how to make a good chocolate shake and that's what matters!

No comments: