Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Lemon Squares

I mentioned yesterday that one of my earliest memories baking is a recipe for Lemon Squares. I used to make them ALL THE TIME. They were so delicious and tart- I could eat the entire pan myself.

I'm keeping it simple today and just giving you the recipe- no step-by-step pictorial today! Sorry! If you make these, let me know what you think of them. I've often thought of topping them with a meringue, or making them lime-flavored instead, or even a citrus blend with orange, lemon and lime. Delish!

Ingredients:

For cookie base:
2 cups flour
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 cup butter, melted

For filling:
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup flour
5/8 cup lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine ingredients for cookie base and then press into a 13 X 9 inch baking dish. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.

In a large bowl, combine, sugar, baking powder and flour. Stir in the eggs, and finally the lemon juice. Pour mixture over the prepared crust and return to the oven. Bake another 30 minutes, until the bars are set. Cool completely before slicing and eating! Also, these are delicious with a scoop of sherbet. Very refreshing!

I'm still waiting for a comment with your favorite lemony recipe. It can be as simple as homemade lemonade, or something complicated and fancy. It can be sweet or savory- whatever you like! Leave a comment!

No comments: